The program aims to acknowledges outstanding civic achievements made by individuals, organizations and businesses in the city.
“Vancouver is such a great city because of all the people who chip and make it a great place to live,” Mayor Kennedy Stewart said in a press release.
“We’re so lucky that we have people, organizations and businesses that are all dedicated to our community and helping others.”
Among this year’s recipients was Dr. Christy Sutherland, B.C.’s 2018 Family Physician of the Year, as announced by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Foundation for Advancing Family Medicine. Sutherland was awarded the Mayor’s Achievement in recognition of her efforts to make life better for a broad segment of our population.
Nominations for five awards were open to everyone, from organizations making a difference in communities, tireless social leaders, community groups building capacity and enterprising youth and children. The City also handed out $3,000 in bursaries to children and youth recipients.
And the winners are:
Mayor’s Achievement Award
- Organization - PHS Community Services Society
- Individual - Dr. Christy Sutherland
- Youth - Urban Native Youth Association
Accessible City Award:
- Organization - All Bodies Dance Project
- Individual - Tanny Marks
- Youth - Allie Janowicz
Civic Volunteer Award:
- Organization - Community Veterinary Outreach
- Individual - Kyla Epstein
- Youth - Shaheema Nalir
Diversity and Inclusion Award:
- Organization - Migrante BC
- Individual - Michelle Nahanee
- Youth - Robin Holmes
Greenest City Leadership Award:
- Organization - Hua Foundation
- Individual - Ian Li
- Youth - Jolina Li
Healthy City for All Award:
- Organization - Tayybeh: A Celebration of Syrian Cuisine
- Individual - Sarah Helene Beley
- Youth - Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice – Youth Volunteers