Get ready for five days of top-tier basketball featuring teams from all over the world!
The Skidegate Saints men’s team of Haida Gwaii, in partnership with the Heiltsuk Nation women’s team of Bella Bella are proud to present the second annual World Indigenous Basketball Challenge at UBC from Aug 8 – 12!
The spirit of cultural sharing and gathering will be featured throughout this event, including ten live cultural performances by participating teams and artists from all over the world. The opening ceremonies, which take place on August 8th, include:
– Loa Pole’o (reggae musician)
– Coastal Wolfpack, of the Musqueam Nation
– Kwhilii Gibyagum Nisga’a Traditional Dance Group
– A performance by Haida Nation
– A performance from Heiltsuk Nation
– St’at’imc Bear dancers
– A performance from the Tonga Nation team
– Award-winning hoop dancer, James Jones
– Cree and Blackfoot Nation pow wow performers
– Paddle Song from the Skidgeate Youth Centre (Haida Gwaii)
– A performance by Team New Zealand, Maori Nation
All teams will be in attendance and will be led out by the Coastal Wolfpack, of the Musqueam Nation. Opening ceremonies take place on August 8th at 7:00pm at the UBC War Memorial Gym (6081 University Blvd).
For more information visit indigenousbasketball.ca