Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
January 20-26, 2018
1. Episode 7 of the V.I.A. podcast brings you 6 awesome things you should know about. 7 if you count the podcast itself.
3. They did not, however, change their tune about smoking–the full ban went into place this week.
4. Here’s what’s brewing at Vancouver’s Milano coffee roasters (hint: it’s golden!)
5. Vancouver has embraced car-sharing more than any other North American city.
6. Those who ride bikes may know that our Burrard Bridge is the busiest cycling route in North America, though.
7. And in more bike news, U-bicycle moved their HQ to Vancouver this week, and plan to expand in the city.
8. Good news for transit users: TransLink has ordered 32 double decker buses.
9. A made-in-B.C. solution now improving access to TransLink fare gates.
11. La Taqueria is opening another Vancouver location, this time in Mount Pleasant.
12. Blaze Pizza is coming in hot in Metro Vancouver, opening four locations soon.
13. Small Victory bakery is adding a South Granville location.
14. Vancouver is now home to an Indigenous food truck.
15. We’ve got 19 food events you can check out in Vancouver in February.
16. Among those events is a beer and chowder smackdown between Gastown eateries.
17. Calling all beer fans: Spinnakers’ barrel-aged sour smells like delicious wet leather.
18. More beer news: East Van Brewing is having their official grand opening right now.
19. Wine lovers, our expert directs you to the Tuscan wine hot spot you may not have heard of.
20. Japanese retailer UNIQLO is opening two more stores soon in Metro Vancouver.
21. This new public art/maze addresses Vancouver’s zero-waste mission.
22. Adam Sandler came to town this week with some famous funny buddies, and gave Vancouver a little social media love.
23. Comics stump for votes to decide ‘Vancouver’s Next Top Mayor’ at a local event. (No, not Adam Sandler.)
24. The dangerous Knight Street Bridge and SW Marine Drive intersection is now a little safer.
25. The B.C. government signed an innovative deal with WeChat to promote tourism in the province.
26. You can show your love of Doritos limited edition ketchup chips by wearing gear from their streetwear line.
27. And in another stunt, Indigo on Granville will have a “nap pod” set up in store to promote Casper pillows and mattresses.
28. Grown ups can geek out at the Space Centre during their 19+ events.
29. Over at the Museum of Anthropology their adult-only night is showcasing Indigenous burlesque.
30. BCIT’s Planetarium has a new lineup of cool VidLaser shows for your Saturday night entertainment.
31. A South African jazz pioneer will revisit iconic catalogue in Vancouver.
32. We’ve got a roundup of 10 picture books that teach kids about equality, race and justice.
33. Megaphone Magazine’s “big sell” returns February 6th at the Vancouver Art Gallery.