This week on the Vancouver Is Awesome Podcast we get things hot and spicy thanks to a visit from Doug Stephen of the brand-new DownLow Chicken Shack. The DL Chicken Shack is Vancouver’s first dedicated outpost of Nashville Hot Chicken, a fiery hot fried chicken style with a great backstory.
Not only did Doug bring the DL Chicken Shack’s awesome eats to hosts Bob and Lindsay, but he also hung around to talk chicken, and also about his other restaurant on The Drive, the critically-acclaimed Merchant’s Workshop–quite possibly the best restaurant you’ve never been to (yet). He’s got a big announcement about who’s in the kitchen there, too.
But before we get to the main course, V.I.A. reporter Melissa Shaw joins in to catch us up on The Rio Theatre’s latest high-profile celeb-fuelled fundraiser, which brought Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds to Vancity…err, sort of.
And to round things out, the trio follows up this ep’s meaty chicken chat with a look at A&W’s new plant-based “Beyond Meat” burger, which hits all 925+ of their locations nationwide on July 9. But, hey: don’t call it a vegan burger, okay?
Show notes for Ep. 30
- The Rio Theatre’s latest fundraiser involves Deadpool
- Ryan Reynolds says “Vancouver is f**king awesome!” in video message at the Rio Theatre
- DL Chicken Shack: Merchant’s team to open Nashville Hot Chicken joint
- DownLow Chicken Shack coming in hot with June opening
- The DownLow Chicken Shack website
- Sean Brock Visits Prince’s Hot Chicken on Season 2 of The Mind of a Chef (VIDEO)
- These are the BEST restaurants in Vancouver for 2018, according to Van Mag
- Merchant’s Workshop website
- CBC’s series Back in Time for Dinner’s 1950s episode guide
- Going Beyond: A&W Canada adds plant-based burger to menu nation-wide
- A&W Canada is going to stop using plastic straws at all its restaurants
Produced and hosted by Lindsay William-Ross and Bob Kronbauer.
Additional support from Adam Nanji and Melissa Shaw.
Our Associate Producer is Albert Van Santvoort.
We record in the studio at Glacier Media, 303 West 5th Avenue in Mt Pleasant.
Theme song is Vancouver BC by The Smugglers ©1990, available on iTunes.
Come back each week for a new episode!