The Enlightened Nerd is a column designed to enlighten the inner nerd in all of us through local whimsical and intellectual events, people, and places. Know a nerdy person, event, place, or thing in Vancouver? Send it in here or tweet it to @karolinathecat (#theenlightenednerd)
Christmas time is a lovely time and with so many wonderful Christmas events happening around Vancouver, the last place you want to be is stuck wandering the mall trying to find Christmas gifts. Especially finding a gift for that unconventional trickier-to-shop-for friend who may not appreciate the usual sweater or scented candle. Compiled below is a list of holiday gifts for Vancouver nerds and geeks from local hangouts, so that your friend can continue being their quirky self and you don't have to give out another gift card to Starbucks.
1) A board game from Games on the Drive or Drexoll Games. Check out one of Vancouver’s board game shops and pick up a classic game or an expansion pack, which is guaranteed fun for the whole lot on Christmas Day.
2) A groovie movie membership to the Rio Theatre: The Rio is one of Vancouver’s oldest and most interesting venues. The only movie theatre with a liquor license, the Rio hosts a variety of events like midnight screenings of cult classics, comedy shows, burlesque shows, international film festivals, and live music. A lifetime membership will get you $2 off adult ticket prices for movies plus popcorn and pop refills!
3) A membership to the Bloedel Conservatory: The plant, flower, and bird conservatory is a domed verdant paradise atop of Queen Elizabeth Park, the City of Vancouver’s highest point. It features over 200 exotic birds and 500 exotic plants and flowers which flourish within its tropical setting. Ideal for bird watchers, botanical geeks and anyone who wants to understand and appreciate the world of plants.
4) A gift card to Vancouver’s nerdiest hair salon, BBombshell Salon. Perfect for your cosplayer friends and anyone who likes to play video games whilst getting their hair done. Bbombshell offers a full range of high-quality hair services.
5) A membership to the Museum of Vancouver, or some Vancouver-themed nostalgia from their gift shop (in the form of books, home décor, toys, and garments). The Museum of Vancouver is Vancouver’s oldest museum and holds varying exhibits, with permanent installations like Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver, and exhibits on different decades of Vancouver.
6) Storm Crown Tavern and Alehouse Merchandise: A beloved Vancouver bar for geeks and nerds alike, the bar itself consists of dozens of board games and pop culture quirks. Check out the Storm Crown Tavern on Commercial Drive or Storm Crow Alehouse on Broadway for possible gift ideas (like mugs and t-shirts).
7) A membership to the H.R. MacMillan Space Museum. A great gift for anyone obsessed with science and astronomy, the space museum has an observatory for looking at stars and planets, as well as planetary films. A membership will get you half price admission, special previews, and discounts.
8) A graphic novel or comic book from Golden Age Collectibles. One of Vancouver’s nerd meccas, Golden Age Collectibles has rare books, collectible items, and tons of other nerdy and pop culture paraphernalia.
9) A membership to Science World at Telus World of Science. An all-year pass to Vancouver’s ever-expanding science dome will give your gift recipient unlimited general access, as well as admission to 300 science centres worldwide.