We all want to be heard. It means that we are valued; that others care about us.
When we aren’t heard, misunderstandings can arise. Opportunities can be missed.
Listening is one of the greatest gifts we can offer the people we love. What if the heart is willing but our ears aren’t up to the task?
Here are five reasons why getting your hearing tested will strengthen and enhance the important relationships in your life.
1) Improved intimacy. Sharing stories about both the ups and the downs of our lives creates a special bond in our closest relationships. It establishes trust and a sense of security. We need to be able to hear those stories.
2) Creating shared memories. If you remove yourself from family or social gatherings because you are apprehensive about being able to follow conversations, you’re missing out on all the little things that bind us together.
3) Being happy in the moment. When you can’t hear properly, you feel frustrated. And frustration turns to anger. Anger pushes people away from us and that’s not what we want, is it?
4) Making those moments count. We can waste a lot of time asking people to repeat themselves. Spend that time fully engaged with the person you’re talking with.
5) Listening is a show of love. We hate to break it to you but you’re probably not the only one who has noticed you’re having problems hearing. By being willing to do something about it, you are demonstrating that you understand the concerns of people who only want what’s best for you.