Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Sponsored Content

What education do you need to immigrate to Canada?

If you have a university degree, immigrating to Canada can be a fairly easy process.

If you have a university degree, immigrating to Canada can be a fairly easy process.

Canada has let the world know that it is welcoming people who are willing to invest their talents here. It has set targetsof 350,000 new arrivals a year by 2021.

“We are 40 million people and yet we don’t have enough people living here to fulfill all the opportunities for growth,” says Rachel Gary, COO of Canada Direct. “The Canadian government is giving people the chance to have a good life here but there is the expectation that you contribute to the economy as well.”

The Canadian immigration system works on a points system. Points are given for such things as education, proficiency in English or French, and work experience. Some points can be earned in the country of origin but people can also gain points here.

When people reach out to Canada Direct for help, a team member takes them through a questionnaire that outlines the client’s qualifications. An assessment report is then sent to one of Canada Direct’s regulated Canadian immigration consultants.

Education is an important eligibility factor. Most bachelor and master’s degrees from other countries meet Canadian standards and will be accepted, opening doors to immigration. Complications arise when post-secondary education is at a technical school.

For instance, Gary says that in many Central American countries, a person can have management experience without a university degree. It’s not that they’re not educated; rather, the level of education is not as stringent a job requirement as it is in Canada.

If they want to continue working in their field, Gary suggests that they come to Canada on a student visa and study to get their university degree or college diploma. Canada Direct can also get them a work visa that allows them to earn both an income and more points for immigration.

What if you are older than 35 and have a high school diploma only? This makes it more challenging but Gary says it is not impossible. Manitoba is the most lenient when it comes to eligibility criteria and does not require applicants to pass an English language test. Another option is to apply for a student visa, no matter what your age. This allows you to study for the qualifications that are required for employment.

To find out more about how Canada Direct can make dreams of a life in Canada become reality, visit