SURREY, B.C. — Two teenagers have been charged with murder in the stabbing death of a man last month in Surrey, B.C.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says two boys, aged 15 and 16, have been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Paul Prestbakmo.
They say the 45-year-old man was found fatally stabbed in the early hours of Aug. 16.
Last month, Prestbakmo's family said he was out for a smoke in the Vancouver suburb and police called the attack "unprovoked."
Police say the 15-year-old has been in custody since Aug. 22 and the 16-year-old since Aug. 21.
Both were held for allegedly failing to abide by court imposed conditions.
Homicide investigators say witnesses were key to the investigation and the information gathered helped shed light and assist investigators in piecing together the circumstances surrounding Prestbakmo's death.
"A violent incident like this has significant impacts on both the victim’s family and the surrounding community, as their sense of safety is upended," Cpl. Elenore Sturko of the RCMP says in a statement.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 19, 2019.