For some, the new year may look like drinking less alcohol, or none at all.
Though there is a sober and sober-curious community thriving in Vancouver, with groups like Sober Babes and VanSober for locals to mingle and meet friends, replacing a boozy night out with a non-alcoholic activity may leave some at a loss.
Fortunately, there are many things to do around Vancouver that don't involve drinking alcohol. Here are a few activities to try by yourself or with some friends:
- Take up roller skating at Rollerland at the PNE.
- Challenge your pals to a board game at Turquoise Goat.
- Go bowling at Commodore Lanes with your buddies. There are also billiard tables if you want to change things up.
- Keep an eye out for block parties and festivals, like the Celebration of Light fireworks, Vancouver Mural Festival, Khatsahlano Street Party, and Italian Days during the summer and the many light displays, Santa Clause parade, and Winter Arts festival during the winter.
- Vancouver has lots of delicious food to offer, so why not taste every bit of it? Try a Vancouver Foodie Tour or take yourself on a self-guided adventure. Either way, there's an entire city of eats to nibble through.
- Pick up a new interest, like glass blowing at Terminal City Glass or archery at Lykopis. You can also stop by MakerLabs' Newbie Night and see what cool crafty hobby you want to try.
- Peruse local markets, from farmers' markets to unique pop-up markets like the Weirdos Holiday Market and the first-ever holiday cat market. They typically take place on weekends so you can't miss them.
- Learn more about the city by going on walking tours.
- Volunteer within the community, whether it's on Thanksgiving, over the holidays, or any other time of the year.
- Check out Vancouver's comedy scene. We've rounded up the best comedians and comedy venues in the city.
- Challenge yourself to an escape room at Exit Canada instead of a night out. They also give free admission on your birthday!
- Discover new music and go to some concerts. Luckily, there are plenty of must-see performers coming to Vancouver in 2023.
- Join a MeetUp group and meet people with similar interests, whether it's film, NFT, gaming development, trying new food, writing, tennis, spikeball, polar bear swims, or dancing.
- Treat yourself to a facial or a destination spa.