Whether its a summer fling or special anniversary evening or just some romantic quality time, there's so much one can do around Vancouver without hurting the bank.
Although cuffing season is around the corner (who doesn't like a stay-in movie and cuddle date?), frolicking in the sunshine with your person is just as fun and cute. There's still a month left of summer so take your partner's hand and make the most of it before it ends and Raincouver's dreary weather storms in.
Not sure what to do or where to start? Turn this list of free or affordable (as in super cheap) date ideas into a summer checklist and (try to) do them all. Not only will you have fun but you'll hopefully make many memories to look back on together.
Free date ideas
- Walk or bike around the city. The seawall is a good place to start but there are plenty of other pretty neighbourhoods around Vancouver.
- If you're both into the outdoors, go on a hike.
- Go swimming at Kits Pool or roadtrip to one of B.C.'s beautiful beaches.
- Window-shop just about anywhere, from local businesses to thrift shops to big name stores.
- Go on a self-guided tour of Vancouver's newest murals or of Ryan Reynolds's favourite local spots.
- Have a picnic and make it more fun with games or crafts.
- If you're planning an evening date, go catch the sunset.
- If you missed the sunset, drive somewhere out of the city to stargaze (this will not be as fun in the cold, so go while it's still warm).
- Maybe stargazing is a bit out of the way. Plan an outdoor movie night in your backyard! String up some fairy lights and snuggle up on some lawn chairs.
- For a more theatre-like outdoor movie experience, catch a public outdoor movie for free. Just don't forget to bring your own popcorn.
- If it's their birthday, go on a birthday freebie scavenger hunt around Vancouver.
- Have fun at a summer street festival. There are plenty of free festivals and events this summer.
- Stroll through one of Vancouver's blooming gardens, like Van Dusen or Queen Elizabeth.
Cheap date ideas
- Go to a book cafe and hold hands while you're nose deep in a good book.
- U-Pick some berries while they're in season.
- Get a burger and play some arcade games at The American.
- If arcade games aren't your thing, go for ping-pong and Jenga at Back And Forth
- Visit the sunflower festival and take some cute photos together.
- Get a treat as sweet as you lovebirds are. Maybe donuts or some ice cream (or an NSFW waffle, if you're into that)?
- Bring out your competitive sides over bowling at Grandview Lanes.
- Get nerdy at Science World's adult-only night.
- Laugh together at a comedy show.