Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
March 10-16, 2018
1. Our guest for the V.I.A. Podcast Episode 14 is none other than our new columnist, Grant Lawrence.
2. Plus, our first ever BONUS episode is Grant’s terrific tale about The Beachcombers and CBC.
3. This week the shortlist for BC Book Prizes was announced; V.I.A. columnist among finalists (guess who?).
4. Speaking of columns by columnists: Miracle man Roger Bannister put Vancouver on the map.
5. Local youth choir to perform with Grammy award winning conductor Charles Bruffy.
6. Spring forward into this AM awesomeness: 20 photos of this morning’s spectacular sunrise.
7. Temporary skate park transitions to Cambie Street Bridge location.
8. Oooh! Ryan Reynolds donates to help “Save The Rio” and urges fans to do the same.
9. Hot Tub Cinema is happening — full lineup, tickets released.
10. Here’s what Canada’s music stars will be eating at the JUNO Awards in Vancouver.
11. Vancouver musicians rally around injured guitarist.
12. From Sam Sullivan’s Public Salon: Norman Armour on “The Art of The Theatre”
13. This fun new brunch menu features dishes like Bacon & Eggs Ramen.
14. We’ve got five things you didn’t know about Mayor L.D. Taylor.
15. Mmm, pie: Five places for perfect pie in Vancouver.
16. Said The Whale announce podcast featuring members of Arkells, Tokyo Police Club and more.
17. New Vancouver recycling program aims to keep bikes out of the landfill.
18. Altaretto is the craft beer/amaretto mash-up you never knew you needed
19. Purebread Bakery announced they are opening second Vancouver location.
20. Ready for three days of excellent eating events? Here’s where to celebrate Macaron Day 2018 in Vancouver on March 20.
21. On March 21, nine Vancouver restaurants will celebrate the food of France for one-night event.
22. Then the day after, on March 22, Dining Out for Life is back in support of A Loving Spoonful.
23. There’s a live Heron Cam now streaming from Stanley Park.
24. This Finnish-based fan website tracks Vancouver filming locations with “sceneframing” photos.
25. Learn all about Canada’s very own Sherlock Holmes courtesy the Vancouver Historical Society.
26. What are you reading? Here are 10 must-read books that are perfect for spring break.
27. If you feel like cooking, you can make the winning dish from the 2018 Curry Cup–we’ve got the recipe!
28. And for something sweet, we’ve got info about four new dessert spots to hit up in Richmond.
29. A new Ocean Wise campaign tackles plastic pollution.
30. Leavin’ on a jet plane? Our BC Was Awesome show will soon be available on all Air Canada flights.
31. Meet the owner of Elephant Garden Creamery, an artisanal ice cream company growing in Vancouver.
32. Four top Vancouver chefs have joined together for a new casual restaurant near the Public Market on Granville Island.
33. Colette Grand Cafe has opened at Holt Renfrew, and it’s a lovely spot for some French food.
34. We don’t HAVE to grow up from Toys R Us: Their Vancouver stores will remain open.
35. Here’s why you should take a drive to Delta to visit the Reifel Bird Sanctuary.
36. Whoa, the Skookum lineup was announced this week, and it looks pretty great.
37. Eat ’em if you got ’em: A pop-up cannabis-infused dinner party is coming to Vancouver.