Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
May 5-11, 2018
1. This week on the V.I.A. Podcast we sat down with the X-Files’ “Cigarette Smoking Man” William B Davis.
2. City staff report recommends a ban on plastic straws in Vancouver.
3. Vancouver could have a winter festival with a frozen skating river, tube slide, booze, and more.
4. We dare you not to get emotional while reading these DTES poems.
5. This Vancouver building used to have streetcars going through it.
6. A business called Perverted Ice Cream is coming to Vancouver.
7. Soft Peaks expands to Burnaby, adds “Frissant” Ice Cream Sandwich.
11. The latest in a seres: My name is Lucas, and I’m Autistic.
12. La Taqueria’s Cambie location is moving…one whole block away
13. 11 things our EIC learned while detoxifying from Vancouver’s Twittersphere.
14. This Vancouver bakeshop’s Sh*t Moms Say cookies totally win Mother’s Day.
15. 4 Vancouverites received the Order of Canada this week.
16. Toronto’s cheekiest ice cream shop, Sweet Jesus is coming to Vancouver.
17. Adults-only nights with booze return to Playland this summer.
18. Trans, gender diverse and two-spirit weight room space gets extension.
19. Explore the colourful world inside Mount Pleasant’s iconic “wedge building.”
20. B.C.’s first year-round outdoor bar will open on this new mega patio in North Vancouver.
21. Kokomo adding second location, moving into old Culprit Coffee in Kits.
22. $675,000 scratch ticket was purchased at Oak and 67th Ave.
23. World-renowned architect delivering keynote at Vancouver Design Week.
24. Mom tracks down stroller thief with the help of social media.
25. Superbaba popping up in Vancouver for one-night preview.
26. From bronies to Freaks and Geeks, Vancouver director corners pop-documentary market.
27. The Blob of Lost Lagoon to live again on the Discovery Channel.
28. Chanel’s only summer beauty pop-up in North America is on right now in Vancouver.
29. CBC Vancouver retires B.C. Almanac and launches BC Today
30. Famous Japanese cheesecake shop Uncle Tetsu opening in Vancouver.
31. City of Vancouver invites the public to a “family fun adventure”…at the landfill!
32. New citizen science project helps kids save the bees.
33. You can knock 5 things off this Great Canadian Bucket List right here in B.C.
34. Here’s where to get all-you-can-eat tacos for $10 in Metro Vancouver.
35. Study: Moms with flexible work arrangements make more money.
36. This is why there’s a giant bird banner under the Granville Street Bridge.
37. Watch this guy share his emotional, conflicted love letter to Vancouver.
38. Here’s what the Hudson’s Bay Vancouver flagship store looked like inside in 1931.
39. There’s a $3,200 bottle of wine going on sale this weekend at BC Liquor Stores.
40. Charity walk at Burnaby Lake Park shines a light on mental health.
41. Marimba: New Vancouver food truck makes empanadas and Mexican sandwiches.
42. CBC-hosted forum debates state of Vancouver housing.
43. Canuck the crow is on the front page of our weekly (sort of) newspaper.
44. Snoop Dogg is connected to the world’s largest pot greenhouse, located in Metro Vancouver.
45. This Week in History: Vandals blitz the NPA office..again.
46. Thursday was the sweetest day in Vancouver this week!
47. 5 things you didn’t know about Hudson’s Bay Vancouver.
48. Neil Patrick Harris salutes Canada with national anthem atop B.C. mountain.
49. So Elon Musk is apparently dating Vancouver artist Grimes.
50. Awesome a little out of town, but still: Brand new Iron Mountain Music Festival will bring two days of rhythm & blues to Mission