Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
June 30 – July 6, 2018
1. On this week’s V.I.A. podcast, we chowed down with local champions of Nashville-style hot chicken, DL Chicken Shack.
2. The mystery of the missing dragon statue was solved!
3. This beautiful photo of Vancouver’s Canada Day celebrations.
4. The First Nations woman that’s working to revive a threatened language.
5. The fact that “L” drivers can now use Modo carshare in Vancouver.
6. This upcoming outdoor screening of Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet.
7. Someone in Richmond is a $7 million lottery winner.
8. B.C. is working with researchers to explore how basic income could work in the province.
9. The City is considering temporary modular housing site near Olympic Village.
10. The extremely cute corgi beach race that’s happening this weekend.
11. Edwards Seafood & Spirits launched in the ex-Bao Down Gastown space.
12. This Vancouver armoury that’s now home to this really big, really rare gun.
13. This new Granville Island restaurant that’s inside a shipping container.
14. B.C. Ferries is heading into a major construction project to replace five existing vessels.
15. The fact that you can ride back in time on a historic Vancouver Interurban streetcar.
16. Someone is making a documentary about Bryant “Big Country” Reeves.
17. Eastside Culture Crawl Society’s upcoming annual Art, Bike, Beer Crawl.
18. These Vancouver Park Board classes that will show you how to film your king-fu moves.
19. This summer-long heritage pop-up event hosted by the Vancouver Heritage Foundation.
20. The Museum of Anthropology new collection of donated Northwest Coast art.
21. There are going to be corgi and wiener dog races in Vancouver this summer.
22. The submarine pilot that streams 360° videos from under the sea.
23. This huge company is going to phase out plastic straws at its 19 brands by 2019.
24. These internet famous watermelon ice cream sandwiches.
25. The Strathcona Artisan Market is empowering low-income residents.
26. BC Ferries is expanding its Coastal Naturalist education program.
28. Our good friend from the Vancouver Courier got his butt kicked by a local wrestler.
29. More fried chicken! Juke announced the opening of their second location.
31. This Vancouver death metal Kickstarter campaign that reached $666.
32. Vancouver Queer Film Festival’s awesome lineup of over 70 screenings.
33. The free live music that’s happening in Marpole’s Oak Park this summer.
34. This family-friend summer reading list curated by the VPL.
36. This list of 40 fun things that families can do in Vancouver this summer.
37. Our wine expert told us about the Italian wine region that willed itself into the “wine of kings”.
38. BC Hydro launched their second phase of vehicle charging stations across southern B.C.
39. The Birds and the Beets team is opening a brunch cafe called Hunnybee Bruncheonette in Chinatown.