Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
July 7 – 13, 2018
1. On this week’s V.I.A. podcast, we talked about the local flying ant population that seems to be “getting it on” in the sky… It’s a real thing!
2. This Tofino townhouse that will be sold to one lucky resident for $210,00.
3. Transit Police launched a campaign to prevent sexual assault.
4. Arts Umbrella is going to receive a $27 million renovation.
5. These GORGEOUS French-style macarons and pastries.
6. These long lost BC Tel commercials that show “fashionable” phones from the 1960s.
7. The fact that this man survived a grizzly attack in Bella Coola, B.C.!
8. The tale of Peanut, the homeless Bowen Island recycle depot dog.
9. Starbucks announced they’d be ditching plastic straws from all locations.
10. We met the winners of the Corgi Beach Day costume contest and race.
12. This Instagram account that highlights awful Vancouver rentals.
13. The fact that (almost) everyone is loving the new plant-based Beyond Meat burger at A&W.
14. The aerial ropes course that is coming to Grouse Mountain.
15. This 890 sq ft pirate ship is for sale for $549,000.
16. This video of Indian Summer director Sirish Rao discussing human imagination.
17. The new shark stamps that Canada Post made with the Vancouver Aquarium.
18. This hidden gem bar is hosting super cool pop-up dinner events to mark a major milestone.
19. This Vancouver daycare centre received funding to stay open.
20. A flower that smells like rotting flesh is going bloom at the Bloedel Conservatory!
21. This injured fawn that survived an eagle attack and is now being nursed back to health.
22. A guide to U-Pick blueberries in Metro Vancouver.
23. This summery seafood ramen that you can only get for a limited time.
24. Half-priced tacos that are being served up at the new Chronic Tacos outpost.
25. EVEN MORE TACOS! Tacofino announced their fifth location and it’s in Mount Pleasant.
26. The super intense rules for this BC Ferries kids drawing contest.
27. Shaun White skateboarding at this free event in Vancouver this weekend.
28. B.C.’s first cannabis store will be in Kamloops.
29. Ferment Fest is returning for its second year in Vancouver!
30. We debunked the most common myths and misconceptions about beer.
31. This “halo” is helping blind dogs navigate their world.
32. You can now smash away your rage at Richmond’s “anger rooms”.
33. This SFU camp is encouraging women to pursue careers in computer science, AI.
34. Poke Five is feeding the senses at their new shop on Commercial Drive.
35. The young scallywags who stole taxi driver’s rum returned it, with interest.
36. Vancouver’s resident ‘corpse flower’ was given a name fitting of its festering smell.
37. Parents can sign up for these $1,200 education grants.
39. This thoughtful B.C. teenager with leukaemia that could use our help.
40. This miraculous photo taken by erikandersen.