Take a break from the news cycle and help us celebrate the things we covered this week that are making Vancouver Awesome with a capital “A.”
April 28-May 4, 2018
2. And later this week, there was more good news to share: Rio Theatre one step closer to being saved after mortgage approval.
3. CONGRATS! Canuck, Vancouver’s most famous crow, is now a Dad!
4. The BC SPCA is taking name suggestions for new foal born in Surrey.
5. A UBC professor is part of NASA team launching lander to Mars.
6. It’s om-maaaazing: Goat Yoga brings all the kids to the (farm) yard.
7. Pop-up dinner event honours refugee chef’s Mexican roots.
8. Living Situation: Jocelyn’s search for a larger space for her growing family.
9. This is good housing news, right? More than 1,000 affordable housing units to be built in Vancouver.
10. Vancouver realtor to donate massive commission from $13.8m listing to World Housing
11. This local musician hopes to shred World Record with marathon 125-hour guitar playing gig.
12. Restaurant update: What’s new at Vancouver’s Havana is more of Old Havana itself.
14. This Week in History: A fair-goer’s guide to the BC Pavilion
15. We made wild boar and kelp beer tacos with Tacofino’s executive chef
16. City, park board celebrates 100,000 trees planted since 2010 and counting
17. Jane’s Walk explores the collective housing movement.
18. SO PRETTY! The Abbotsford Tulip Festival is Bloom-ing beautiful.
19. A B.C. company is using classic Boler molds to make this new camping trailer.
20. A mini-guide to help you celebrate National Caesar Day in Vancouver this month.
21. Movie lovers: DOXA started up this week and features 93 films.
22. Kitsilano secondary school celebrates its 100th birthday.
23. This dude retired, celebrated his birthday, THEN won $2 million in the lottery.
24. A ‘Spokes n Words’ book bike is coming to North Van this summer.
25. The Gastown Chicken Fight will bring the wings again for annual fiery throwdown.
26. DL Chicken Shack: Merchant’s team to open Nashville Hot Chicken joint.
27. The Westham Island Bridge is getting a retrofit.
28. You can run through 2.5 million cubic feet of foam at this summer event.
29. Italian Day on The Drive will fill Vancouver’s Little Italy with MUSICA.
30. VIDEO: 11 ridiculously cute rescue ducklings.
31. Three orphaned river otters released back into the wild.
32. Need a nice tree for the yard? The park board has been giving them away.
33. The creative videos promoting a local realtor will give ‘Justin’s Massage’ campaign a run for its money.
34. Vancouver street youth photograph the DTES, the ‘best place on earth.’
35. The Aga Khan’s visit to Vancouver this weekend was a big draw.
36. The Richmond Night Market opens next week.
37. More Richmond eats to report…Pokey Okey: New poké shop coming soon.
38. Check out Kafka’s “Friend or Foe” exhibit during this month’s free art walk.
39. New pixel art video game has Vancouver as a “dystopian animal society.”
40. This new exhibit recreates life on the Titanic’s tragic maiden voyage.
42. The story of Billy Steeves, the stagecoach driver crushed by a falling tree on Granville Street.
43. The Grouse Grind Trail officially opened this week.
44. These women are kayaking along BC coast to fundraise for a plastic-free ocean.
45. Gobble: New comfort food restaurant coming to Kits.
46. The Proof: Joseph Fry of Hapa Collaborative.
48. YVR holds plane spotting party welcoming first Lufthansa A350-900.
50. The ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ author paid a visit to Vancouver.
51. Another in an ongoing series on our site: My name is Allie, and I’m autistic.
53. Why Vancouver’s soaring gas prices are a good thing, says columnist Grant Lawrence.
54. Lastly, a big THANK YOU for sticking with us as we commit to delivering more news.